Sunday, July 15, 2007

Doctor Who: Season 3

WARNING There may be spoilers in the following post so if you haven't watched all of the third season of the re-launched Doctor Who then you should skip reading this.

I had myself a Who-athon this weekend and completed watching all thirteen episodes of Doctor Who Season 3. I had originally planned to watch only one or two episodes a night to savor them but they were so good I powered through them in a day and a half. I blame it all on one remark, You are not alone that the Face of Boe makes to the Doctor at the end of the third episode Gridlocked. The ramifications of that line kept me watching and watching.

I was bowled over by the character Martha Jones who is played by Freema Agyeman. I really liked that the Doctor has a companion who is smart and educated.

Overall season 3 was a very strong season. The stand out episode for me was Blink! The amazing thing about Blink is that the Doctor and Martha don't have much screen time at all. It all centers around a young woman named Sally Sparrow, played by Carey Mulligan, who is investigating multiple disappearances at an abandoned house. It really is a wonderfully scripted episode and incredibly creepy. I will never look at weeping angel status the same way ever again.

One thing I was disappointed in was the two parter that has the return of the Daleks. I would have liked it they took a whole season off from the Daleks as it is getting a bit stale for them to be completely obliterated only to show up again and again.

However, the final three parter that re-introduces a major villain was written beautifully. Hopefully they will find a plausible way to bring him back again.

Updated 2007/07/16: For those of us in Canada we can watch the episodes on-line for a month after they were broadcast on the CBC. Currently, episodes one through three are available.

No comments: