Friday, June 1, 2012

Books I've Read this Week

Okay, it's been a long time since I've done one of these. You take a couple of week break while on vacation and then the next thing you it is 2 months later.


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is a rocking good story which conjures up remembrances of Ray Bradbury stories I'd previously read. The novel centres around a contest between two young magicians named Celia and Marco. It is a very imaginative little romp as the two magicians compete against each other while falling in love.
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness was not what I was looking for after reading The Night Circus. It is another supernatural love story but it is not handled as deftly as The Night Circus and reading the two books back to back definitely cast A Discovery of Witches in a poor light. Seriously though, what do women see in vampires? When did they start becoming boyfriend/husband material? They are the undead people!

2 comments:

Raymond Camden said...

You read both of these this week? I hate you.

-sigh-

Simon MacDonald said...

Well I cheated a bit as I had read The Night Circus last week and A Discovery of Witches this week. Also, I do count audio books as reading.