Friday, October 4, 2013

Books I've Read This Week

Midnight Riot is the first book in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. I'd actually been keeping my eyes out for this book for awhile but it isn't usually carried in North American books stores as near as I can tell. Yes, yes I know there is this thing called Amazon where you can order books online but when you to read list is hovering around 90 books you don't need to order any new ones. I ended up seeing this it in an English language bookstore in Amsterdam and I needed something to read on the train but I digress.

The closest comparable I can find for this book is the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher which is a good thing as that is a really fun series. Anyway, PC Peter Grant is just finishing his probationary period and is hoping to become a detective but after standing guard at a grisley murder scene he discovers that he can talk to ghosts. This leads to Peter being assigned to a special division of the London Metro Police that deals with super natural crime.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi is the second book in the Jean de Flambeur trilogy. I remember really enjoying the first book, The Quantum Thief, when I read it a couple of years back as it seemed fresh and original. This book to me seems to be a bit more chaotic and the science in this is more like magic. Plus it is short clocking in at about 300 pages. I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. 

No comments: