Sunday, May 4, 2014

Books I've Read This Week

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch is the third novel in The Gentlemen Bastards series. At the conclusion of the last volume Locke and Jean were in a rough spot. Now they've been forced into taking a tough job where they run into a childhood friend and once the love of Locke's life Sabetha.

The novel has two intertwined narratives. One which takes place in present day and the other who's events take place before the first novel. It's not typically a structure I enjoy but in this novel it works. My only complaint about the story is a fantasy trope that they were avoiding have come into play. I can only hope that it is a red herring but I'm very much looking forward to the next instalment.
Dune by Frank Herbert was our book club selection last month. It was actually the third time I've read the book and I like it a little bit less each time. What I did like was the first part of the novel with all the political manoeuvrings of the houses. What I didn't like was when Paul becomes the leader of the Fremen. It just kinda smacked of white privilege, Lawrence of Arrakis.

2 comments:

The League said...

Oh my God. "What I didn't like was when Paul becomes the leader of the Fremen. It just kinda smacked of white privilege, Lawrence of Arrakis." I'm totally stealing this for all Dune-related conversations.

Simon MacDonald said...

You of course have my permission to use it whenever Dune comes up.